In a message dated 2/23/2007 6:56:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

You say  that their other concerns are somewhat legitimate, but their
position  against alcohol in general should not be considered at all. Why
is this  particular concern suddenly illegitimate?

As usual, we're drifting off what I think is the real issue. Not the sale  of
liquor across from a mosque, per se. Not, as was the case with the Firehouse,
 a tavern-like operation across from a tee-totaling Baptist Church. Not
simply  the question of an abortion clinic or a house owned by a gay couple
across
the  street from St Francis (which are rather different situations in that one
is a  public accommodation and the other a matter of people's private lives).

IMHO, the real issue has to do with sensitivity to the cultural mores of
people in the community, given that we bust our collective buttons with pride
about how diverse we are. And a second factor that seems to be important is the

question of whether some alternate location might be somewhat better, just as
 good, or almost as good where issues of this type wouldn't arise. Everyone
agrees that the present state store location at 41st & Market leaves much to
be desired in many dimensions. But, surely there are places that can be
developed for a Wine & Spirits Shoppe more suitable than the 4200 block of
Walnut
-- which would not only be less contentious but would have a positive
influence on the evolution of the immediate vicinity and still convenient for
the
target clientele. How about the old Linton's (or was it Horn & Hardart?)
building near 40th & Chestnut -- I understand that when a certain initiative
goes
kablooie, the outfit that's now using the space will fold up and the space
will become available. There's a parking lot in the back and a police
substation
adjacent -- both of which are strong points.

Always at  your service and ready for a dialog ® brand resident and housing
provider,
Al Krigman

http://www.aol.com.