tyler_durden;249991 Wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a RELIABLE mobo for use as a server for
> squeezecenter?  My old mobo has died after about 3 years of daily use.
> Does anyone make a reliable motherboard?
>
> I want a mobo that is going to last more than 3 years of continuous use
> if that is possible.  I plan to set up one of the flavors of linux that
> allows configuration from a remote terminal so I don't need graphics on
> the new board, just networking.
>
> Thanks,
> TD

My server recently died after about 7 years of service, being almost
continuously on - when it stopped doing reliable DMA transfers I
decided that something was so wrong it probably wasn't worth recovering
from. So I did some hunting around. Originally I wanted another 500MHz
system - I bought a 500MHz fanless VIA system for my parents and paid
quite a bit for it and... it probably wasn't worth the hassle. So I
decided this time around to just go for a regular MB - and reuse my old
ATA discs where I could. Since the server sits in the eaves of the
house, it doesn't really matter what it's like...

So... This is what I settled on... (from Dabs)

Dabs Value Midi Tower 350W Beige
quicklinx:3PQPWS | mfr#:8027A1             £20.29

Crucial 1GB 240DIMM PC2-5400
quicklinx:4L43WS | mfr#:CT12864AA667       £17.61

MSI S775 VIA P4M900 DDR2 MATX 8CH AUDIO LAN
quicklinx:4L60WS | mfr#:P4M900M2-L         £29.37

Intel Celeron D 352 3.2GHz Socket 775 512Kb
quicklinx:451VWS | mfr#:BX80552352         £29.08

Strictly I could have skipped the case as my old one would have done,
but messing around removing the MB from the old case and fitting the
new one just seemed like a whole lot more hassle than I cared for -
plus the old machine can remain 'together' as a backup in case things
went wrong.

Mostly I went for 'cheap-but-does-the-job'. It's got >6x the processor
speed, 2x the RAM and faster memory too, and it did worked pretty much
straight off. Basically the old drives came out of the original server
and straight in to this one and up it booted (that usually seems to be
the case for Linux; I've never been able to just swap drives with
Windows - not and have it work like before anyhow).

Specifically you were asking about reliability, which - having just
bought the new MB - I can't really answer. But I am expecting/hoping
that this machine will last my the same sort of time as the previous
server. Realistically, the machine's quite an overkill for what I use
it for (SlimServer, some development work, external and internal
webserver, mail and news) but a month or so down the line it's going
just fine. Using the squeezebox is a bit nippier too.

For comparison, the original server was a 'Today Only' deal from Scan 7
or 8 years ago, and I have no idea what the MB make was - I wasn't even
looking at that time for something that would be particularly
longstanding or reliable... Just something that would do the job.

Dunno if any of that's any help but... there you go.

--
gerph