tyler_durden;268396 Wrote:
> When booting from a flash memory device, is the linux  swap partition
> also on the flash device?  Is it fast enough?  Will it last?
>
> I thought flash memory devices were good for a limited number of
> write/erase cycles...
>
> TD
Not today. They have some spare memory and active defects management.
You can expect them to last as long as a HD (actually I did already
have a lot of broken HDs but never a broken flash, yet).
Also, if they are organized accordingly they can be quite fast. This is
an IDE flash, not a USB one. But there are huge differences.
Probably wouldn't run a heavy duty web server from it but for this
application it's amazingly fast. Much faster than all my PCs for SC.
Maybe the 1GB RAM also helps... Boy, RAM and Flash are so cheap these
days...The most expensive part of the whole unit was the housing.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng at penguinlovesmusic.com