maggior;268474 Wrote:
> Part of it is that new drives are designed with minimal acoustic levels
> as a requirement.  The other part of it is that drives get louder as
> they age.  Over time, the bearings in the drive will wear and get
> louder.  It happens so gradually that you don't really notice it until
> one day you think "damn, that drive is loud".

It is actually the new hard disk that has annoying sound
characteristics (old one is a 80GB BarracudaIV which has some damping
material on the lower side and new one is a Seagate ST3320620A, both
are 7200rpm drives). In my HP NAS docking station also a very noisy
drive is used, altough in that case the mounting may be responsible for
most of the noise.
If I remember correctly Samsung markets some of its' drives as low
noise models and other manufactures certainly do that too nowadays.

Bye, signor_rossi.

--
signor_rossi