tyler_durden;267778 Wrote:
> Here's the board I am looking at:
> http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4842001#

The review is awfully telling.  :-)

> I will use some flavor of Linux on the server.

If it was me, now that I'm familiar with the Linux command line (enough
to install and administer SC anyway) I'd go with Ubuntu Server.  But if
you want a GUI there's no need to go overboard since you'll only
occasionally be using the GUI, install Xubuntu (with the lighter xfce
GUI).

hellesangel's idea of booting to the command line would be good as well
if it's easy to implement.

> Right now the old systems OS is on an old 40GB PATA drive, but I may opt
> to run the new server off an USB memory stick.

pippin's use of IDE flash modules and his explanation of the new flash
failure management techniques makes a flash-based OS partition a very
interesting proposition.  Googling around, there are flash modules up
to 8 GB which plug directly into an IDE socket, no adapter required!

--
Mark Lanctot

Ben Klass: "I won't even eat a pre-7.0 meal.  Well, unless it involves
bacon."

SB2, Transporter, beta SBR, beta SBC, production SBC