For some reason the squeezecenter insists on using mysql socket in /tmp,
so you need to edit the "/etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld" file and add a
line:
/tmp/mysql.sock w,

You also have to edit your mysql config files (both my.cnf and
debian.cnf) to reflect this socket change.

Also you have to give permissions in your mysql for the squeeze user:

grant all privileges on *.* to 'slimserver'@'%' identified by
'somepassword';
grant all privileges on *.* to 'slimserver'@'localhost' identified by
'somepassword';

If you set a password, you need to remember to edit the "dbpassword"
field in the "/var/lib/squeezecenter/prefs/server.prefs" file.

Finally do a
create database squeezecenter
in mysql and update the dbsource string in the the
"/var/lib/squeezecenter/prefs/server.prefs" file to reflect your
changes:
dbsource:
dbi:mysql:hostname=localhost;port=3306;database=squeezeserver

I choosed to configure mysql, since I have worked with that a lot and
it was not clear how I should configure the squeezecenter, so if
someone has another guide to ubuntu 8.04, please let us know.

I still get a few warnings in my logs, especially with some mDNS, but
as far as I can tell it has something to do with itunes, which I dont
use anyway.

It would be nice with a proper ubuntu 8.04 installation at some point,
which has a correct usage of mysql.

Good luck,
Brian

--