After several days of frustration, I finally got squeezecenter to run on
Hardy. I followed the steps above and also had to create the following
sym link:
ln -s /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock /tmp/mysql.sock

The scanner wouldn't run because it wanted to connect using the
/tmp/mysql.sock instead of the socket specified in the .cnf file. Does
anyone know why/where the scanner is getting /tmp/mysql.sock value? I
couldn't find it anywhere.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am using an existing mysql instance
and not the instance that comes with squeezecenter.

--
jjazz