I mostly run SC on a NAS, but I occasionally use my dual-boot (XP and
Ubuntu 8.04) Lenovo laptop to run SC on the Ubuntu partition just for
grins. Installation of SC using the Ubuntu Update Manager (or whatever
it's called) has been dead easy, including with beta versions, both
'testing' and 'unstable'. All my music is flac or mp3, so I can't speak
to any m4a or aac issues. No problems with firewall or wireless.

I haven't tried running dbpoweramp under Wine yet, but mp3tag works
great under Wine.

So, sorry I can't be of much help to you, except to say that it can be
done....

--
aubuti

Nothing high-end, but music anywhere I want it. LinkStation HD-HG
(debian) feeding: Basement: SB2 > JVC JA-S44 > ESS Tempest LS8;
Kitchen/Dining: SB Duet > AudioSource Amp100 > 2 pairs Polk RC60i;
Living room: SB3 > Technics SA-EX140 > Bose Acoustimass 3; Bedroom: SB
Boom + SBC; Study: SB Duet > Klipsch ProMedia 2.0; Kid's bedroom: SB2 >
Klipsch ProMedia 2.0
http://www.last.fm/user/aubuti/