Glad to hear you are mostly "there" now, I guess it is all frustrating
if things don't just work - but (I'm sure you already know!) linux
still isn't quite there yet for the "Plug'n'play" generation and often
you come up against things that you would never had thought about in
Windows. I'm still getting used to that too.
Have you tried iptables-restore? At work at the moment and don't have
access to the man pages to check for sure!
I agree that application use is very personal, thats why I still use
EAC under VM. It seems that you are already using VMWare from your last
post?
NLite is a program (windows if I remember) that can take a windows
install add in the hotfixes/updates and any commonly used programs,
take out all the sh*&te that Windows puts in that you don't need and
make a single install disk. This can even be setup to run unattended
with auto setting up of user accounts etc. Google for it. I got my
install down to 280 Meg! So I run VMWare in linux and install the
NLite'd version of my XP. This runs like a regular machine on my P4
3gig laptop - so you don't need oodles of power (even with a lowly 1gig
of RAM). Its only for EAC and some very specific work software to
analyse XRays that can't be found for Linux :(

Everyones _computing_ experience is different, just see the varied
posts for setting up our very own squeezecenter on windows in this very
forum. My journey into linux probably hasn't been that different to
yours, I expected problems along the way - and boy have I had some!,
but the great thing about the linux world is the community that follows
it. To them I owe almost everything to getting me to where I currently
am - a novice!!!

Always happy to help if I can.

Nic

--
DrNic

SqueezeCenter Version: 7.2 - 22900 - Debian - EN - utf8
Perl Version: 5.8.8 i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.1
Platform Architecture: i686-linux
System: T2-WHS A3i (Intel Atom) Headless all wired Gigabit LAN