Hi all,
I purchased a Dell Mini to act as a low power Squeezebox server instead
of my main workstation.  Since I don't plan to install a lot of
applications on this machine (maybe occasional email and browsing) I
decided to cut down the OS overhead and have Dell install Ubuntu and
try my hand with a Linux variant.  After about a week of tinkering
though, I still haven't been able to install the most recent stable
version of Squeezecenter.

The installed version of Ubuntu is 8.04.  It is an "lpia" version.  I'm
a Linux/Ubuntu noob, so I don't really know what that implies, but I do
know it meant I couldn't just add the slimdevices repository and add
the program that way.  My Synaptic installer was looking for an lpia
version that wasn't there.  I ended up locating the .deb on the server,
downloading it, then installed using right click and "Open with GDebi
Package Installer".  That process seemed to work until I tried to
actually run squeezecenter.  I couldn't access the server through the
standard web pages.  After searching the forums, it seemed like a good
start was to check var/log/squeezecenter/server.log.  In this file, all
I see is:

<Timestamp> Squeezecenter died.  Restarting.

The same restarting message appears every 5 seconds.

I found one forum message regarding this error.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=47875&page=2

The install libfreetype6 thing didn't seem to do anything for me.

Now I am stuck.  I really don't know how to troubleshoot in Ubuntu.  My
fundamental Linux knowledge is next to zero although I'm comfortable
tinkering and have been a SC user for many years.  I'm looking for help
and trying not to get frustrated.

Other information:
Synaptic shows squeezecenter 7.3.1 and PERL 5.8.8-12 installed...not
sure if that is important.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

--
dingJam