Diana;399281 Wrote:
> Mark2 >>> To save you some time searching, you'll find full instructions
> for implementing Pat's advice at
> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/DebianPackage
> It gives the URL for the slimdevices repo.

Follow the instruction in the wiki (note requirement for additional
dependency if you have the ububntu 8.10 server)

I use a headless PC running Ubuntu 8.10 server (see signature below).
To help manage the server from a terminal, I use midnight-commander,
htop and rcconf. These apps can be called from an SSH terminal on a
linux box or from a Windows PC using PuTTY.

Add the following packages:

apt-get install mc  (file manager)
apt-get install htop  (enhanced version of top)
apt-get install rcconf (to control startup scripts)

You can also install apps needed for the AlienBBC plugin and for
decoding non-native streams.

apt-get install mplayer
apt-get install lame

When you have installed Squeezecenter, connect using a browser from
another computer to http://<yourserverip>:9000

Ideally your music should be stored on your server PC, to save running
any other machines.

SC runs its own instance of MySQL so to reduce processor load, from a
terminal type:
sudo rcconf

deselect mysql from startup list with rcconf.

My ubuntu 8.10 server has run without problem for a number of months
now.  I never have the need to use a GUI.  I couldn't anyway as my
Nvidia video card is no longer supported by 8.10.

--
Ramage

P2 266MHz, ubuntu server 8.10 SC 7.3.3~25112
AMD64x2 ubuntu 8.04, SC 7.4~25118
Players: Classic, Duet, Boom, Controller