Here's a temporary solution...

I have my music folder rsync'd onto a USB drive that is attached to my
sheevaplug, and I was having the same problem as you, where SB Server
could not see any of the music. I ran the following command on my music
folder:

chmod 777 -R music-folder/

So this pretty much makes the file / directory wide open, permissions
wise. It seems to be working though. The only bummer is that I plan on
getting the rsync to run nightly to update music on the device, and one
of the beauties of rsync is that i only syncs files that have been
modified or changed. I'm wondering now after doing this big chmod if all
of the files are going to be re-written next time I do an rsync.

So at least I have my music playing throughout the apartment on my SB
Radio. That's a relief, but this isn't a very elegant solution. So I'm
hoping someone can find me a better one soon! Thanks!

--
hungarianhc

'Howto: Building a squeezebox server for under $100!'
(http://www.crazyhawt.com/2009/11/23/howto-building-a-squeezebox-server-for-under-100-yes-it-can-be-done/)