gharris999 wrote:
> Why this devotion to vi?

Just because some version of vi has been included in every unix-like OS
over the past 25+ years, and it works just fine over a TTY or command line.

The more the "visual" editors require something like X-windows. Nano
clearly follows the vi/vim mode, but its not much of an improvement over
vi. With vi, you can go anywhere, it is always installed. I even install
it on my Windows boxes.

Again, one of the reasons I install the GUI for servers is that during
setup, its nice to have a decent editor.

I actually kinda like vi, but I started programming on a PDP-10, which
used "teco" as an editor. Teco was the first that I used with the "i"
for insert mode up until you enter escape, just like vi. While teco was
not visual, it had an awesome macro/programming capability.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/