gharris999;550949 Wrote:
> If folks don't mind, I'll continue posting my Ubuntu server experiences
> here and let you all run color commentary.

As a Linux newbie, I'm following a similar path, having installed
Ubuntu Server 8.04 a couple months ago, then recently upgrading it to
10.04.  I elected to give myself a bit of a crash course in Linux by
not installing a gui and doing everything from the command line.  It's
been, well, ... interesting.

I spend a lot of time in google, sometimes not even knowing what
question to ask.  And I've bookmarked no less two dozen sites on Ubuntu
and Linux that I sometimes just browse, trying to learn something by
osmosis.

I certainly like the text/config file file approach for applications,
and have a little experience with it having admin'd some Apache and
MySQL servers on Windows.  I'm not exactly sure how I'll back it all up
yet, with things seemingly scattered all over the file system.

The file system hierarchy at this point still seems almost arbitrary.
And many of the articles I've read about it have only enforced that
view.  Remembering where things are located in a directory structure
full of cryptic three and four letter names has been one of the more
difficult things to deal with.  I'm getting used to /etc/init.d/ and
/var/lib/, but the rest is still Chinese.

Vi (vim) still gives me fits, but I learn a new trick every couple of
days that makes me go "ah, yes".  I'm too lazy to sit down and try to
learn some of the things that I should know how to do in any editor.
And I figure I'll forget most of it anyway if I don't use it daily.

I'm still in the midst of trying to run multiple instances of SbS on
the box and have it almost figured out.  This has involved writing
daemon init scripts and some additional shell scripts for managing
things like doing SVN updates.  That's been fun.

--
JJZolx

Jim