gharris999;553159 Wrote:
> Maybe what I need here is an easy failsafe.  When this Ubuntu server
> hangs on boot (while trying to reference the non-existent UUID) it will
> still respond to a ctrl-alt-delete and "gracefully" reboot the system.
> Any idea what script (if any) the system is executing at that moment?
> It doesn't appear to be /etc/init.d/reboot.

you can try to hit "s" to skip the offending mount.

There are a few bugs (or bad design decissions) with the
implementations of upstart and fstab.

upstart waits for an event that all filesystems are ready. This never
comes, because mountall  never emits it (see /etc/init/mountall.conf).

The message with the "skip" seems to be buggy. If this bug is only
related with plymouth or not i can't tell.

--
fragfutter

You're obviously not a Linux person. If you were, you'd know that the
most important feature of a GUI is the icon that opens a shell window.