If you have to ask what you will use it for, then you probably don't
need it. :-)

How have I used ssh on the Controller?

1) used it in the early days to direct output to the headphone jack
(this is now done automatically)
2) setting a true static IP address
3) customizing the menus for the SqueezeIR plugin (I think this also
now has a better UI than ssh)
4) changing the background color of the active menu item (this can now
be done much more easily using the Patch Installer)

On the SB Radio I've used ssh to change the music used for the fallback
alarm.

The bottom line is that I have found ssh useful for trying/customizing
newer plugins, applets, and patches. Most of those that people find
useful eventually get a more convenient user interface to change the
settings. I think (2) above is the only exception in my case.

--
aubuti