giulio wrote:
> After a long struggle I have been able to build a version of Squeezeplay
> that plays files up to 192k sampling rates. You can download my tarball
> from http://webspace.qmul.ac.uk/gfella/squeezeplay/squeezeplay.html and
> untar into a directory /opt/squeezeplay
>
> It works on ubuntu and voyage, so I expect it to work on most flavours
> of Debian.
>
> To build from source instead: add the sampling rates 176400 and 192000
> to the list of sampling rates in the file decode_pcm.c in the folder
> squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/src/audio/decode from the source tarball.
> Building from sources requires fixing a couple of bugs (read about them
> on John Well's page here
> http://www.jfwhome.com/2009/11/22/compiling-squeezeplay-on-linux-ubuntu-amd64/
> Thanks John!)
>
> You also need to make sure that the server can play up to 192K files.
>
> For this, you  have to patch the LogitechMediaserver software by
> applying Lauret's 192khz.patch (available at
> https://github.com/terual/slimpy_ to the file Squeezebox2.pm (the latter
> is in the folder /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Player/ on my ubuntu install).
> Thanks Lauret!
>
> Finally to make sure a 24 bit file is not truncated to 16 bit follow
> Kipeta's (Thanks Kipeta!) recipe
>
> "in Linux you can choose the audio device and other parameters through
> setting file:
> ~/.squeezeplay/userpath/settings/DesktopJive.lua
>
> I have following content in it:
> settings = {mac="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx",uuid="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> x"",alsaSampleSize=24,alsaPlaybackDevice="plughw:0
> ,0",alsaPlaybackBufferTime=50000,alsaPlaybackPeriodCount=3} "
>
> I am grateful to the community for the useful info.
This worked for me up until now.  I now have a weird problem.

For several reasons I had to re-install my ubuntu system as a true
dual-boot OS on my PC (previously it was a installed within the windows
file system).  This is 12.04, 64 bit.

Installing the tarball did not go as smoothly as before.  First it
claimed it could not find libjpeg.so.62.  synaptic was no help, since it
seemed to be already installed, so I downloaded it again from
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/i386/libjpeg62/download and
reinstalled it.  That problem went away.

I then struggled to find a way to add a startup shortcut to my desktop,
or a menu, or anywhere.... ubuntu 12.04 has been cut back to remove a
lot of things which I used first time round in 11.04 (and also under
Debian).  I eventually solved this - another story.

I did the no pulseaudio fixes, and set the sound devices and got
squeezeplay to start cleanly, except.....

When ssqueezeplay starts it quotes a pin number at me, and asks me to
enter it a jive.squeezenetwork.com. There is no way to proceed without
doing this.  Starting squeezeplay from a terminal so I can see what is
wrong, it says the squeezeplay is regeistered to another account:

  20120518 22:38:15.162 WARN   net.comet - Comet.lua:888 Comet
{mysqueezebox.com}: _response,
/1X6612add31542f581b3c34c089c2e4eb9X0016176e1066X0X1337380694X02b33af2/slim/request
 id=3 failed: This player is already linked to another SqueezeNetwork account.

What's this all about?  I have no idea what is happening.  I used to be
able to install this tarball and connect to my SB (now a Vortexbox)  and
to my SB account, but it now gives me no chance to do this.