JackOfAll wrote:
> I'll take a look. Of the top of my head, I would expect it to be benign.
> Do you have a specific reason for 24 hour leases? Most routers default
> to 7 days for dynamic leases, and at the point the dhclient on the
> device requests the renewal, it will request the renewal asking for the
> address it already has, and it will usually be given it. I wonder why
> your router always allocates a new address rather than giving it back
> the address it already had......

1) 24-hour leases are the standard default on my wireless router. I
haven't ever needed to change that in the past
2) There are actually three time periods: renew, rebind, and expire.  By
the end of the renew period, the proper behaviour is to send a
DHCPREQUEST to the DHCP server which assigned the lease (which is known
as it is stores as part of the lease). The server should receive the
DHCPREQUEST and give the client permission to renew the lease. I.e., the
client is allowed to reuse the configuration for the original lease time
and just has to bump up all three expiry times. This is the desired
behaviour that we are missing due to the time not being set correctly.
3) It is because the dhclient program is starting over, assuming that
all its timers are expired and we are startig from scratch with a
DHCPDISCOVER broadcast.

Mine is not the only router that treats a new DHCPDISCOVER sequence
differently than DHCPREQUEST message, as evidenced by the discussion
here: http://billauer.co.il/blog/2012/10/dhcp-ip-ntpdate-rtc/ , in
particular, the part where he says >  The IP address of my embedded Linux
machine changed suddenly after a
> few hours, breaking the ssh connection I had up, and messing up the NFS
> mount.  and > So the DHCP client assumes everything has expired, and issues
> two
> DHCPDISCOVER requests, starting it all over again. The server supplies a
> new IP address, and oops, all network connections are suddenly lost. And
> the second entry in the lease file is generated.

So in summary, it is not good to send out DHCPDISCOVER broadcasts and
starting all over again  ("'ello 'ello, what's going on here, then?")
when we could be using DHCPREQUEST ("permission to carry on, sir?").
Apparently, different routers behave differently when when the client
fails to keep track of DHCP leases properly.