PasTim wrote:
> As feared, problems are still occurring on both of my systems.
I believe I have now sorted out both sets of problems.  The crackle on
my Vortexbox system seems to have cause by a bad USB cable connection.
Having moved the cable to a different port (as part of checking I was
using a full USB 2.0 connection) the problem has not recurred recently
I moved the cable back, making sure it was properly seated, and I still
have no crackle.  I'm a little surprised that a bad connection caused
crackle rather than more severe breakup, but am happy it isn't happening
any more.

Of my ubuntu desktop I have tried all sorts of parameters, and it is now
working with:

  /home/xxx/Music/squeezelite-x86-64 -a 90 -o hw:DAC,DEV=0 -n Desktop-Lite -r
192000 -f /home/xxx/Scripts/squeezelite.log -p 25 -d output=debug

It has not been easy since I don't really understand what the -a
parameters mean (I've failed to find a source of information about them
that I can understand), but I am not getting the error reported
previously any more.

(he said, foolishly...)