albertone74 wrote:
> Morning Clive,
> I would appreciate if could advise me on the following question.
> Performance wise, would it make a difference to plug in a USB storage
> HDD to a router, rather than the USB port of the WB? I am asking that as
> my new HUAWEI router comes with a USB host port.

Well, absolute performance wise, local access, even via the USB port is
always going to be "faster" than network access. If you are copying
large files to the disk, then you will really notice the difference in
speed, copying to a locally connected USB drive versus a remote share,
but assuming the drive is being used for your LMS music library, you
could argue that were not so much interested in ultimate performance,
more a case of whether LMS can read the files fast enough from a network
disk/share to stream to the players. The beauty of external USB drives
from my point of view, (as opposed to a drive "statically" mounted in a
PC case), is that when you want to copy files to it, you plug it into
the machine which contains the files, copy them, and then move the drive
back to where you want it to be for day-to-day read access.