It always seems like I am advertising but this might help someone
else....

I switched to a new development machine. Doesn't have a serial port for
the WB serial console. So I started looking at USB->RS232 adapters. A
friend cautioned me away from the really cheap adapters as he has had
issues and pointed me at a £15 part. I ignored him and spent £2.30
(delivered) on this 'USB to RS232 - USB Converter Cable'
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00077DJIQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00).
(Figured, for the sake of £2.30, if it didn't work I'd buy the more
expensive one that was recommended.) Anyway, can't vouch for it on
Window$, only use Linux, but it appears to use a genuine Prolific chip,
the pl2303 module loads, and the WB serial console works just fine on
it. £2.30 well spent! ;)