rpress wrote:
> I received the Noritake display, unfortunately the grayscale one is
> discontinued.  It's too big for my case!  I didn't pay close enough
> attention, it's about 10mm too wide.  It's big and beautiful, there is
> something indeed special about a VFD display.  The drivers are working
> and the display is running at 30 fps, the max speed allowed by the VFD.
> I made some optimizations to the GPIO driver and it actually doesn't use
> much CPU at all bit-banging the parallel bus over USB.  I also received
> that UM232H-B adapter board in the picture above and it works great
> too.
>
> No grayscale is a bit of an issue though, because the icons and fonts of
> Jivelite aren't optimized for it.  For reference the old VFD Squeezebox
> units (Boom, Transporter) do not have grayscale either and they look
> good.  So that's just a matter of adapting Jivelite, but I don't know if
> I'm up for at as I don't plan to use the VFD as it won't fit...
>
> I think I'll go with the OLED as it looks good and fits nicely.  Does
> anyone else have ideas for a display that would work?  To be honest the
> latest fad of full color, normal aspect ratio (like the Touch) don't
> seem as "classy" to me as the Boom style display.

Very interesting thread. While I am waiting for my wandboard I've done
quite a lot of searches on the internet to evaluate options for a
display.
1) VFD. AFIK Noritake is the only manufacturer.
Option 1 is this display
http://www.noritake-itron.jp/eng/products/module/gu3000/320x32.htm I am
not sure it is the same as in the Classic/Transporter but it has the
same dimensions. It is not sold on the US site.
Option 2 is: http://noritake-vfd.com/gu256x64d-3900b.aspx has the same
resolution as yours but it is a bit smaller (102 USD).
Option 3: http://noritake-vfd.com/gu256x64c-3900b.aspx same res smaller
(106 USD).
Option 4: http://noritake-vfd.com/gu256x32d-3900b.aspx seems to be the
model that is closer to the original on the Classic (106 USD).
Option 5: http://noritake-vfd.com/gu512x32h-3900b.aspx this one is quite
large but should fit in a 43cm wide box and would be quite nice (118
USD).
One of the drawback of VFD is that the luminosity decay with time. The
good news is that it loks like there is a 50% discount these days...

2) An alternative I am considering is to use a row of led matrices such
as this one: http://www.adafruit.com/products/871 . Of course the
resolution is much lower but I think it may look good as it does in
http://www.resolutionaudio.com/cantata_mc.html :-)  In this case there
is no room to show an analog VU-meter but in that case I could follow
the steps of Pascal Hibon and use a pair of real ones
(http://www.communitysqueeze.org/html/images/photos/vu_pascal_hibon_640x163.jpg).

3) before reading this thread I thought OLED displays were not available
in that size/form factor. Looking for bigger than 256x64 (but still with
small size), I did not find any on sale but this device
http://www.auralic.com/en/files/vegatop.jpg has a really nice one ! I
which I knew the manufacturer.

2 SB Classic. Hopefully a Community Squeeze soon.