If I never hear another word about the web-gui, that would be a good
thing.....

The reason we don't ship a "high performance" JVM with CSOS, is that I
can't, not that I don't know better. That I personally as an individual,
accept the Oracle Binary Code License and don't use the OpenJDK Zoom
JVM, yes, might seem a little two-faced, do as I say, rather than do as
I do, but anyone can download and use it, by creating an Oracle account
and accepting the BCL agreement. Java is interpreted. Yes, it is all
about the JIT. Java isn't alone there. (Triode, not directed at you, but
it's relevant...) jivelite runs acceptably under LuaJIT. If one was to
try running that without a JIT, my expectation is that it would be
orders of magnitude slower. The problem here, if there is one, on not
providing the best out-of-the-box experience, is that LuaJIT is open
source, the Oracle JIT is "free", as in free to use if you accept the
binary license, but it is not open source, or freely re-distributable.
If anyone wants to suggest I am guilty of anything, it's not that I want
to hold back, that there is some dastardly plan to provide a pay-ware
version of CSOS at some point in the future, and have reasons to
differentiate that from a "free" version....... One, if I wasn't already
working on stuff that I consider to be of greater importance, I'd
document how to switch out the OpenJDK. (It's no secret. For anyone who
doesn't need hand-holding with the exact commands to type, extract the
tar file and set JAVA_HOME in "/etc/sysconfig/tomcat".) Two, if I am
guilty of anything, it's that my initial testing of a tomcat based
version of the web-gui was done on what I thought to be comparable
hardware, an Atom processor. Roughly comparable in terms of hardware
horse-power, but not comparable in terms of the optimisation provided by
the system JVM.

That there is a whole bunch of tomcat logging that could be disabled,
yes, two-faced again, I do disable it for my own use, but from a
distribution perspective, to be able to provide any support, I need to
be able to say to someone with a problem, what does the log file(s) say?
If there isn't anything in a blank log file, how do I provide support?
This isn't a simple case of adding "-l debug" on the cmd line and
telling someone to restart a binary. Multiple edits' to multiple files.
Not plain text files. (Well, they are on one level. But not plain text
files, on the basis that syntax is important. ie. xml.)