ggalt wrote:

> I tried both -a :::0 and different devices (only "null" and "sysdefault"
> are listed by squeezelite -L, but I tried "default" too).  Other than
> using the null device, I get the same error (which makes sense).  If you
> have any other suggestions, I'd by happy to try them.

My 2p, for what its worth..... Don't know much about the distribution
you are using, but maybe you need to add yourself to a group, (maybe
audio), that has privs for the audio devices. Reason I say this, is on
Fedora if you are not a member of the audio group, aplay -L or
squeezelite -l, will only list pseudo devices, (like null and default),
and not any real audio devices.... Just a thought.