Krisbee wrote:

> This leaves the question of  running a SAMBA server.  I believe we only
> need to share locally attached storage.  As soa-aur on Arch has no
> normal user, just root and system user jivelite,  you could expose
> everything under “/mnt/local/” with  a samba config that has “security =
> user” and “guest account = root”.   This would make all local data
> available as a public share fully rw.   That may not be restrictive
> enough for some users.  It should also be possible enabel/disable any
> SAMBA server via the soa-webUI.

The general issue we need to think about when starting to attach a local
storage is that "normal" people will do stupid things. As an example,
they will disconnect a drive without power off the Wandboard, since
there isn't any power button to use to power off the Wandboard. Don't
expect "normal" people to know that you need to go into a web interface
with a web browser and select to shutdown the device before you can
remove a drive. The advantage of making it a bit complicated is that the
only people that will use it are people that hopefully know what they
are doing and understand that they need to shutdown the Wandboard before
disconnecting the drive.

It's of course possible to ignore all this, but be prepared that people
who get a corrupt file system because they remove the drive in the wrong
situation are going to complain, especially when it contained the only
copy of their music library because they didn't have a proper backup.

Access to remote storage is good and even recommended, but I agree that
there isn't any need to be able to share it via SAMBA since it's already
shared by the remote device that contains the drive.

Offering a preconfigured SAMBA server has the advantage that there is a
chance people connect the drive permanently instead of disconnecting it
every time they need to add new music. So I think it's a good idea to
also offer a preconfigured/preinstalled SAMBA server if we automatically
mount locally attached drives.

An alternative to all this is to make sure the automatic mounting only
mounts drives as read-only, so there is less risk that the file system
get corrupt if the drive is abruptly disconnected, but in this case it
does not make sense to offer a SAMBA server since you wouldn't be able
to use it to upload new music anyway.

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))

*Interested in the future of music streaming ? 'ickStream -  A world of
music at your fingertips'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98467-Pre-Announcement-ickStream&p=743516)*.