JackOfAll wrote:
> The M2 uses the AllWinner A31 rather than A20, I think, so not sure what
> it is using for codec. The on-board codec, (24 bit DAC), actually built
> into the A20 SoC, is one of the best kept secrets in terms of SQ. Sound
> quality is very good, compared to sgtl5000 and some of the other junk
> typically used as external codec with other SoC's. So if AllWinner kept
> that in the A31, and the M2 board doesn't use an external codec/DAC,
> suspect sound will be good.

thanks. Interesting.
I've been able to find the data sheets for the A20 and A31, and they
look mighty similar except the A31 seems to have improved audio over the
A20.
I wonder if the Banana Pi M2 (running the A31) and the Banana Pi
(running the A20) are going to end up best of breed SqueezeLite
platforms?
I can't wait to get my hands on one!

A20 datasheet;
https://dl.linux-sunxi.org/A20/A20%20Brief%202013-02-27.pdf

A31 datasheet;
http://dl.linux-sunxi.org/A31/A31%20Datasheet%20-%20v1.00%20%282012-11-06%29.pdf

- Two audio DAC channels
- Stereo capless headphone drivers
- Up to 100dBA SNR for DAC playback
- 8KHz~192KHz DAC sample rate
- Support analog/digital volume control

on the A31, it says;
"Two sets I2S/PCM interfaces for baseband and Bluetooth" which I guess
could be of interest.