edwardthern wrote:
> Don't want to go off on a tangent.

Well, you might not have wanted to, but I think you succeeded. :)

> Double blind tests etc are used to prove something.... I'm not
> interested in a Nobel prize or proving anything to anyone. If someone
> tries a 'tweak' and feels they need to do a DBT in order to prove it to
> themselves they are hearing what they think they are hearing....well
> thats on them.:eek:

Indeed. But if you follow the "everything matters" mantra of some
subjectivist audiophiles, you will spend all your time testing endless
tweaks, and thinking you hear a difference. I am not sure the rest of us
want to waste our time on random, unsubstantiated tweaks.

> I ate some really good steak this weekend, fortunately I didn't need a
> DBT to prove to myself it tasted better than the last steak I ate.:D

Nobody *needs* DBTs to prove subjective preferences to themselves (but
if you have an open mind and are curious about how your mind works, you
might want to give it a try), but it is our prerogative to regard them
as unsubstantiated.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953