Well I'm still confused (a bit).

There is an option to store the config files on a USB stick in the
picorePlayer settings.

But I have never used this, as the default is to store them on the SD
card.(I think it is as I'm not near a combo at the mo!). I'll try the
stick approach.:)

I use normally a 16gb card (which is expanded anyway to allow the
install of LMS) and have been running this recently as Server and
Player, pulling the plug twice or three times a week.

The only problem I have experienced was the player starting before the
server ( a line of code provided by Paul sorted that, fixed in the next
revision I believe).

I know that folk worry about SD card corruption but I have never
experienced it.

SD cards are very cheap these days so a spare 16gb as a backup is a very
viable proposition.

I know that a pi Zero is a cheap option but I think a rpi3 is better as
a server/player combination (pi2B also works)

Ronnie