I don't think the problem of LMS not downloading has anything to do with
how the SD card is formatted/flashed. (I use
SDFormatter/Win32DiscImager).

My screeshot in post #11 shows 6.8GB free on an 8GB card, after setting
everything up except LMS.

My prefered order is to set up everything else: resize file system,
additional file systems, network mount, USB mount, Samba, ect., then
download/install and configure LMS.
However, twice this has resulted in being unable to download LMS.

If I boot the pi, resize the file system, *then download/install LMS
before doing anything else*, twice using this method I have had no
problem.

Please note that on all four installs the SD cards have been
formatted/flashed using the same tools.

This is *my* experience. Coincidence?, I don't know. YMMV.

LMS on a Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.10, playlists and LMS cache on a
USB stick, 25K+ music library on a WD MyCloud network drive,
Rasberry Pi 2 > piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 >
AVI DM5
Raspberry Pi 3/piCorePlayer 3.10/HiFiBerry DAC+ > Cambridge Audio Minx 5
(study)
1 x Boom (dining room) - 1 x  Radio (garage) - 1 x Touch (display and
controller only) - 1 x SB3 (spare)