i've recently updated my old LMS installation to 7.9 on my ubuntu server
(16.10) which i've had forever. After doing the installation everything
works perfectly - music found, prefs found, player found, scan perfect,
everything !! However, when I reboot LMS comes up as LMS_safe and I can
no longer connect to port 9000. Although, the server appears to be
running. There is no firewall and I can ping the outside world in all
directions. I have tried this several times, deleting and purging LMS,
deleting the startup script in init.d, deleting the user and group
settings everything. Again, after a fresh install everything works until
i reboot. Strangely I don't find a log file under /var/logs/ and I have
2 instances of Squeezeboxserver running - one normal one _safe. It
almost seems like LMS is crashing immediately and restarting. Shurely
that's not right?

I remember from long ago there used to be a page with a detailed
installation guide and how to setup init.d and all the rest (including
iptables and Sqlite) I wonder where all that has gone?