I'm a FreeNas/FreeBSD novice who mostly uses linux and have not tried
the instructions in this thread or RichieB's build script.  But this
port may provide an alternative:
https://www.freshports.org/audio/logitechmediaserver/  I installed this
port in a FreeBSD 11 VM and it works.  I think I read somewhere you need
to turn the make config  option "TEST" off for the port to build in a
jail.

Moving to the latest FreeNAS 9.10 stable now allows the use of iohyve at
the CLI which provides a straightforward method to create and use VMs.
A minimal Debian 8 VM with LMS seems to be light on resources and works
well if you're happy to provide access to host data as a CIFS or NFS
share.