I'm in a quite similar situation. I just build my own NAS, testing it
out a bit. I settled on using ZFS for data integrity, but have not
decided on the OS. I prefer Debian CLI but am quite charmed by how
complete FreeNAS is. It has most of the things like logging, checks,
alerts and reporting sorted out. Even the plugins and jails look well
done. I could set all this up on Debian with docker but it would take me
days of tinkering. I do want to avoid a VM layer unless I really need it
(like for running Windows apps). Thankfully I mostly use Unix apps which
FreeBSD of course is very capable of running.