These two vids give a good impression of the direction of FreeNAS

Jordan Hubbard - FreeNAS 10: Challenges of building a modern Enterprise
Storage Appliance on FreeBSD:  https://youtu.be/W0hrlsIVst0

Jordan Hubbard - FreeNAS 10 @ BayLISA: https://youtu.be/UpO1YUG8S6c

The underlying complexity has been abstracted away in the new UI but the
move towards docker means using the linux emulation layer.  Some would
argue that up to now, jails and plugin in FreeNAS have not been that
successful. For my home use FreeNAS 10 is overkill.  It's true that the
UI makes setting up  logging, checks, alerts and reporting very easy.
But even I managed to set up basic emailing reports on my Deb8 file
server box and zfs-zed can give you feedback on some ZFS events to add
to the with the usual smartctl stuff. The real attraction of FreeNAS to
me is it runs from a usb stick and frees up a SATA port on my mini-itx
m/board and has the bonus of being free of systemd.   I have no ambition
to build an "  Enterprise Storage Appliance" with true server grade
components, but I was interested how much mileage I could get out my
consumer grade kit.  The fact that LMS can be be built and run on
FreeBSD/FreeNAS keeps the options open.