I realized that I had made another incorrect assumption when I was
reviewing the lsmod output again and comparing to the working Raspbian
setup.  There was no enc28j60 module in the list.  I dug into the
repository, found the enc28j60.ko module, put it in the pi and now
enc28j60 shows up in the modules listed by lsmod, but still no network
connection.
back to googling through device tree and spi threads and comparing
various settings in piCorePlayer to the Raspbian setup that works...

SqueezeServer: LMS7.9.1 on Debian-Stretch
Wholehouse Audio: Squeezebox Receiver (Duet), 3 Squeezebox Controllers
Extra Controllers: Orange Squeeze Android App, SqueezePlay
Front Porch: piCorePlayer 3.21 on Raspberry Pi Model B with HiFiBerry
DAC
Patio: piCorePlayer 3.21 on Raspberry Pi 2B with HiFiBerry DAC
Garage: piCorePlayer 3.22 on pIZero1.3 with pHat DAC, Jivelite, 3.5" TFT
LCD
Future Plans: Pi3's and PiZeros with touchscreens and DACs
Retired: Wandboard with CSOS, WHS SqueezeServer