pablolie wrote:
> 3 things don't migrate well:
>
> 1. Network configuration. Go for bridged. It'll save you a lot of issues
> with LMS. You have to set that up in the VM management sw, not the vm
> itself.
> 2. Music directory visibility to LMS. I have no idea why that is. I
> would have assumed if you have the same NTFS drive connected to the
> exact same vm running ubuntu, hey, the fastab stuff should work right
> away when you connect the external NTFS drive. But that is not so.
> You'll have to mess about with your fstab again.
> 3. Network accessibility of your music collection aka Samba
> configuration. Gone too when you migrate the vm. Odd. I like to have
> that because I tend to rip new CDs on my Win10 dbPoweramp app, and then
> easily drop them into the music directory (owned by the Ubuntu VM).
I don't use VMWare and I don't like Ubuntu all that much, but in
general:

1. Yes bridge the guest to a physical network card on the host, and set
the guest to DHCP. *Make sure the hypervisor assigns the same MAC
address to the guest across different VMWare installs*, otherwise the
ubuntu machine is going to create "eth1" where "eth0" was formerly used.
(If you run into that, go to /etc/udev/rules.d/, remove file
70-persistent-net.rules and reboot. The network card will be called eth0
again.)
Same problem if the Ubuntu guest uses the so-called Predictable Network
Interface Names. Actually the problem is possibly worse since there are
different naming schemes for PNIN... In the guest I would try disabling
that junk or use the ludicrous "device name is enxMAC_address" policy,
along with specifying the same MAC in VMWare across installs.
Now the guest normally will only change network IP address across
installs, e.g. IP 192.168.0.45 in one install, 10.240.0.150 in another,
etc.

2. I understand this is a physical USB drive exported by VMWare to the
guest? It is quite possible that the device path/name inside the guest
changes from install to install. However a mount in fstab that would use
higher-level information like UUID= (will change if you reformat the
partition) or LABEL= (not available on all filesystems, ok on NTFS
AFAIK) should work across instances.
If the drive is exported as an USB device (and not as, say, a SATA
device) then in addition the guest might feel like being smart, mount
the volume to /media/somename and disregard your fstab entry. I would
export the physical device as a SATA/SCSI device if possible, otherwise
expel from the guest OS any pesky "USB mount helper"

3. If the SMB shares use names, e.g \\DESKTOP\music or \\MYVM\newstuff
then there shouldn't be a problem. If sharing/mounting by IP address,
there could be a problem across installs?

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.