TomAmes wrote:
> Thanks guys. I am up and running!
>
> Thank you particularly for the link for the SD formatter as Windows was
> giving me error messages and not allowing me to format "normally." And
> thanks to both of you for steering me to an SD card problem rather than
> a networking one.
>
> Solution (imo): When I burned the image to the SD card (G: drive, for
> me), after it completed successfully I got a pop-up that informed me
> that Drive H could not be used successfully unless it was formatted, so
> I hit "OK". This apparently created a small USB drive partition on the
> SD card which was totally unexpected. The third time I burned an image I
> removed the SD card without hitting OK to format the H: drive.
>
> I guess that was idiosyncratic to my machine or something. Sorry, I did
> not check to see if there is now a USB H: drive partition on the
> successful image. If it could be useful to know for future
> trouble-shooting I could do that if anyone wants. If the creation of an
> extra drive on the SD card is an expected occurrence, a notation should
> probably be added somewhere.
>
> edit: I did also tick the Checksum box, but did not do anything else
> differently than the above, so maybe that also made a difference???
>
> Thanks again!

>From my experience you "never" need to format the SD card, and I have
done hundreds of images. So you don't need SD formatter. If prompted by
Windows to format a partition always say "no". The prompt to format on
Windows only started for me sometime in the last year, never used to.

I have used SD formatter only once when I have a corrupted SD card.

Copying a pCP image should take about 10 seconds, so the whole process
should take a minute or two.

regards
Greg