hi fsger,

Since pCP4.0.0 we have made the wifi very flexible.

https://www.picoreplayer.org/how_to_setup_wifi_on_pcp_without_ethernet.shtml

Use the "# Maintained by user" to create wpa_supplicant.conf of your
choice. When you add "# Maintained by user" piCorePlayer's web gui will
completely ignore wpa_supplicant.conf

Usually piCorePlayer massages a user attempted wpa_supplicant.conf into
a valid wpa_supplicant.conf. This works fine in most cases. When you go
through the Web GUI we also convert passwords to passphrases. It is
usually considered bad practice to use plain text passwords.

Here are the instructions for setting up a wpa_supplicant.conf

http://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/plain/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

regards
Greg