chill wrote:
> Thankyou - I'll look into Alpine Linux.  Yes, running from ram alone
> seems attractive, plus I might be able to fit it into the 1GB flash on
> the Joggler more easily.  When the device is solely running JiveLite as
> a kiosk-type app, with no other function, are the benefits of running
> from ram really very important?  Does Linux do stuff in the background
> that can corrupt the drive if it's not shut down properly?
A standard linux distribution like ubuntu, yes.
Tinycore only writes to the disk when you backup your configuration.
The rest of the time it only writes to the ram disk.
Alpine linux appears to be similiar to Tinycore.

chill wrote:
> I did have a look at some of the Applets in Squeezeplay OS, and all the
> 'initial run' setup stuff could be very useful.  I'd like to contact the
> author for permission to re-use his work, but as far as I can see he
> uses Twitter for communication, and I don't tweet.

For tinycore or alpine linux and jivelite without X windows, you will
need to have linux frame buffer support enabled in the SDL 1.2.15
library.

Ralphy

*1*-Touch, *5*-Classics, *3*-Booms, *1*-UE Radio
'Squeezebox client builds'
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/) 'donations'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=LL5P6365KQEXN&lc=CA&item_name=Squeezebox%20client%20builds&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_SM%2egif%3aNonHosted)
always appreciated.