--------------------
> > .  When starting as a service, it plays fine at first, but as soon as
> I use the software mixer (change system volume level), Squeezelite
> goes silent.
>
> I'm guessing this could mean that the service is starting with a
> device output other than PulseAudio, but I don't seem to be going to
> the right place or entering the right details to tweak that option.

Will PulseAudio be running at system boot, when you're not yet logged in
to a desktop session?

--------------------
> > it seems to just crash, showing me:

  >   >   squeezelite.service - LSB: Lightweight headless Squeezebox emulator
  > Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/squeezelite; generated)
  > Active: active (exited) since Fri 2019-04-19 14:34:01 MST; 9s ago
  > Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  > Process: 13693 ExecStop=/etc/init.d/squeezelite stop (code=exited,
status=0/SUCCESS)
  > Process: 14218 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/squeezelite start (code=exited,
status=0/SUCCESS)

  > Apr 19 14:34:01 Maxie systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Lightweight headless
Squeezebox emulator...
  > Apr 19 14:34:01 Maxie systemd[1]: Started LSB: Lightweight headless
Squeezebox emulator.

My hunch would be that Ubuntu's use of an old-style init script could be
causing any potentially-helpful error messages from the squeezelite
binary to be discarded, here.  You could try cribbing the 'systemd
service file from Fedora's package'
(https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/squeezelite/blob/master/f/squeezelite.system.service)
to see whether that's more informative.