+1 for Max2Play
I've been running Max2Play in two different setups. In both setups had
LMS + Player

1) Raspi2 B with a 1TB USB 2.5" drive and a IQAudio DAC Hat and wired
ethernet. never had any problem. This setup is capable to stream to a
second external player without trouble (only tested with same song
streamed to local and remote player).
2) Raspi3 B+ with a 128GB USB thumbdrive and IQAudio Amp Hat for my
parents (this one used wifi). My only problem with wifi was related to
the way ISP router worked and fixed it making a reservation in dhcp to
always get the same IP address.

As far as I'm concerned and provided you don't plan to use a HAT DAC,
I'd go for the RASPI4 because of the improvements in USB. I think the
1GB model is no longer available, so I'd go for the 2GB model. I would
check first using wifi and only change to wired ethernet if facing
problems.

Regards