schup011 wrote:
> Ethernet: Rather difficult to realize, because Pi Zero W is not
> physically accessible (or, let's say, it's difficult).
>
> Don't I loose the access to the web interface during switch over before
> everything is done and credentials are put in? E.g. in order to come
> from normal WiFi to AP mode, one has first to switch off WiFi...

I wanted just to give an update how I finally managed to switch from AP
mode to normal WiFi without using Ethernet:

With the AP still working, I ssh'd into the pCP, and used the setup
commandline tool to change WiFi settings. At the same time, I also
edited wpa_supplicant on the boot partition, not sure if that one was
needed (just wanted to make everything sure).

Then - important step - I switched off AP mode in the web interface (if
you don't, your new WiFi settings will be ignored at the next boot).

I don't remember whether I lose contact immediately and had to
hard-reboot by disconnecting power. Anyway, after the reboot, the Pi
without a problem connected to the new (external) Wifi network.

For the other way round (setting up AP mode while connected to a WiFi
network), I don't know whether there is also a way. I decided to keep
the external router (even without internet connection) because it is way
easier for maintenance. If I want to update, I can easily replace the
external router by my mobile phone in hotspot mode with the same
SSID/password settings. Thus, I can temporarily connect the system to
the internet and do updates.