Well, initially I believe I had squeezelite alsa-version, as I installed
it with "sudo apt-get install squeezelite" but apparently this resulted
in squeezelite.service not actually running properly? I have no idea how
or why I had "active (running)" status that was in my first post
though.

However as soon as I installed squeezelite-pa, everything works as long
as I keep "SL_SOUNDCARD="default:CARD=Set" in squeezelite config file. I
tried "plughw:CARD=Set,DEV=0" and "hw:CARD=Set,DEV=0" but this results
squeezelite status to be "active (exited)" again.