For some reason unknown to me slimserver has recently started consuming
100% CPU even if no music is playing and no scan is going on.

Do you happen to listen to some of the German public radio stations? There's a known issue - see https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/issues/700. It has been addressed in LMS 8.3. We might backport it to 8.2.1 if it proves to work as expected, without side effects.

Until then: make sure you clear the playlist after listening to one such station. Disable proxied streaming, or use http instead of https if possible.