Thanks all for suggestions.

So today I completed LMS setup on the network at work (downloading &
installing CIFS interface libraries) and brought my Pi home, mounted the
remote NAS disk and it all works perfectly. I set the Pi up with a
static IP address and re-addressed my other 'player' Pi. And now,
completely unexpectedly the piCorePLayer repositories are available. One
thing that may have solved it was rebooting my router (which I did
because the DHCP wasn't doing what it was told initially), which it
appears I haven't done for 132 days. I guess 'have you tried switching
it off and back on again' still remains good advice.

Next project - set up the same system with Docker (although am going to
use another Pi borrowed from work, I'm happy with my LMS and hope to not
have to touch it for a while).

Many thanks all, Tony