I know there was discussion of up3 at the barcamp at the ja-sig conference in June. Unfortunately, I had a 3.5 hour workshop to deliver during that time so I was unable to participate.

What I don't understand is why the initial effort is being put towards the activities you mention and converting uPortal to Pluto 1.1 (or hopefully pluto 2.0) is not mentioned at all.

JSR 286 was Finalized on August 27, 2007 (that was the date votes closed). If we release uPortal 3.0 nearly 1 year later in summer 2008 without JSR 286 support, I think that will send an unintentional message to Portal consumers/adopters/developers.

So, while I can appreciate the great value in the conversion to Maven, and Spring Web MVC Dispatcher Servlet, I would to know more about how uPortal 3 is going to improve on it's support of Portlets (or even Channels if that was worthwhile).

---- Cris J H

Eric Dalquist wrote:
There hasn't been much traffic on about the uP3 work since the conference and hopefully this is the first of many messages resolving that problem.

Work has been happening on converting the trunk of the uPortal project to use Maven 2 as the build system. This has been a complete conversion so much of the directory structure has been re-arranged. The work is complete and, with a little testing from folks on this list, ready to be merged from the 'working-maven' branch back into the trunk. I would encourage everyone to check out from the branch and give it a try. There is a build.xml file that at this point replicates the main Ant targets used by developers pre-conversion, initportal is still all you need to run to get everything going after setting up build.properties. Please provide feedback, there are bound to be rough spots and missing developer features and hearing from developers is how they will be fixed.

One known issue: Ant 1.7 will not work, there is a nasty little bug that will be fixed in 1.7.1, for now use Ant 1.6

With this progress and new build system I need to get it properly documented and have a place for documentation as this effort moves forward. After looking through the wiki and chatting in IRC I have the following proposal. All documentation in the uPortal 3 space related to the uPortal 3 sandbox code would be consolidated and moved under a uP3-Sandbox page then the uPortal 3 space would be used for documentation of the goals of this effort and documentation of changes as they happen. I'd like to get other thoughts and suggestions as to how to deal with the wiki documentation as well.

The next step in the uP3 effort is consolidating the multiple Spring configurations in the project and replacing the inner workings of the static services with Spring configurations. Also related to this would be looking at using a Spring DispatcherServlet as the root servlet for uPortal, using Acegi to replace security.properties and similar tasks. Along side the documentation effort I'll be detailing these as sub-tasks of the root Spring related issue: http://www.ja-sig.org/issues/browse/UP-1789 I'll post an update when I get these sub-tasks details to look for some help in getting them done.

-Eric

--
You are currently subscribed to uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org as: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]