just got the chance to test this out last night, and it appears to do the same thing that my dlm processor does. thanks for the heads up.

Eric Dalquist wrote:
uPortal has supported the uP_fname parameter which renders the specified channel/portlet in maximized mode. The fname for a channel is configured during publishing in channel manager.

As an example the following would render the bookmarks portlet in maximized mode in MyUW (based on 2.5.1) https://my.wisc.edu/portal/tag.idempotent.render.userLayoutRootNode.uP?uP_fname=my-bookmarks

-Eric

Timothy Carroll wrote:
maybe its not.  can you tell me what an fname link is?

Eric Dalquist wrote:
Tim,

How is that different than fname links?

-Eric

Timothy Carroll wrote:
Drew,

I recently wrote a proof-of-concept dlm processor that will link someone directly to a maximized version of a portlet. At the time, I was thinking... it would be easy to do something similar to navigate folks directly to a tab, or if you had anchors above each portlet, you could navigate them there as well.

We are in the middle of a significant roll-out project right now, but I would be happy to discuss this with you as time allows.

Tim

Drew Wills wrote:
Hey folks,

I've been asked by JHU to implement a "deep-linking" feature for their portal: essentially, they want to be able to link directly to a specific tab from another web application.

I have the sense that a lot of folks would be interested in this feature. I know I've been asked about it several times. University of Colorado System, for one, would like it very much.

I also learned that Pearson Education needs this feature -- in fact, they implemented it. It's currently used in their production portal that services large numbers of users.

What's more, I learned from a coworker at UNICON that Pearson had already agreed to contribute this feature -- they were only waiting on available bandwidth to get it done.

Rather than recreate this feature from scratch, I volunteered to be the one to get it in. I've created a JIRA, with a patch attached:

  - http://www.ja-sig.org/issues/browse/UP-1936

I've applied this patch to a local copy of rel-2-6-patches and verified that it functions as expected.

When I first considered the issue I was worried that this enhancement would be pretty invasive; it's actually very low-impact, as it turns out.

Here are all the files (5 total) affected by the patch:
-properties\db\data.xml
-webpages\stylesheets\org\jasig\portal\channels\DLMUserPreferences\tab-column\default.properties -webpages\stylesheets\org\jasig\portal\channels\DLMUserPreferences\tab-column\default.xsl -webpages\stylesheets\org\jasig\portal\layout\DLM-tab-column\tab-column.xsl -source\org\jasig\portal\channels\DLMUserPreferences\TabColumnPrefsState.java

In a nutshell, you enhance the DLMUserPreferences channel to support CRUD operations on a specific folder attribute (stored ultimately in UP_SS_USER_ATTS): "externalId"

Then, you enhance the DLM structure transformation to consume it where appropriate (takes like 3 lines of XSL).

Lastly, you have to register the name "externalId" as a valid folder attribute. This is the change to data.xml: it's one additional row in the DB.

URLs that target specific tabs would look like this:
-http[s]://my-portal/render.userLayoutRootNode.uP?uP_sparam=activeTab&activeTab={externalId}

I think this is a compelling feature, and I'd very much like to get it into the product.

Thoughts?  Anyone else interested in this enhancement?

drew wills

PS: JHU also has a great idea for writing a ServletFilter that could map to URLs like this one:

  - http[s]://my-portal/{externalId}

and translate them to the format shown above. I'm sure they'll be happy to contribute that as well.

--
You are currently subscribed to uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org as: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]