On 12/9/2010 2:38 PM, Eric Dalquist wrote:
Drew, I'm a little concerned about commits
https://developer.jasig.org/source/changelog/jasigsvn/?cs=22634 and
https://developer.jasig.org/source/changelog/jasigsvn/?cs=22633

I'm not sure it is ok for the WebProxyPortlet module to depend on files
in the target directory of another module. Would it be better for the
portlet to use the same filter file that uportal-war is using?

This is a good point. I updated those poms at the tail-end of the work I did, and I guess I didn't pause long enough to think it through fully.

But come to think of it, how much worse is depending "on files in the target directory of another module" than depending on files in the *source* directory of the same module (which is what we already do). I double-checked to make sure the portal was (always) built before the overlay.

And also, the enhancement was designed so that users who didn't want to use the new feature wouldn't have to change *anything* about how they currently configured, built, and deployed uPortal. If we use the same filters file in the portlet overlays, wouldn't folks then be required to set it up?

Also after talking with Jen in IRC and looking more closely at the
patches I don't think we can get the fitlering patches into 3.2. It
looks like we really should do more work on standardizing our filtering
configuration, filter keys and do more testing. Also it is looking like
these changes might be painful the merge for anyone that already has
done some 3.2 customization and that is what we don't want in a patch
release.

The "painful to merge" part is exactly why I was so keen to get it in. The pom changes for many reasons and in many ways between releases; if you've got home-grown filtering in place you already feel this pain (I do), even without conflicting on those specific lines.

I don't believe it makes the pain much worse at all to sort out differences between the filtering that was added and whatever filtering you had. But it certainly makes the pain much better going forward, considering you only have to deal with sorting that out the one time.

drew

-Eric

--
You are currently subscribed to uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org as: