On 10/13/23 12:46 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
If pro devs with decades of experience struggle with this, newcomers will run
screaming.

I agree. But as a "pro" dev I'm embarrassed to admit that the problem I was having was of my own doing. Matthias' Helper tool is invaluable and I couldn't understand why it always worked before but didn't now. He took a look and found the problem. Actually, I had two problems, none of which LC could have solved.

Problem 1: I was using a certificate for the wrong app. I wish I'd known what "no identity found" meant. I could have fixed it.

Problem 2: (Stupid, stupid, stupid) I uploaded my app to Google Drive for download and forgot to zip it. Matthias found that it was corrupted when he tried to help (bless you, Matthias.) I have known forever that uncompressed files don't travel well but we had customers running Sonoma who were flooding the tech queue, and in the rush to get the thing out I forgot. And since I could run the original build on my own Mac, I couldn't figure out why no one else could open it.

That said, it would be great if LC could create an .ipa for iOS and provide notarization/stapling services for Mac apps. It's a start. But honestly, that would only be of marginal help. The certificates, profiles, keystores, etc. can only be created by the developer, and that's mostly where the headaches begin.

I used to be an enthusiastic Apple advocate but now I'm not so sure. Once you've seen the developer side your perceptions change. Google is only marginally easier these days too. I understand the security reasons for all the hassle, but that doesn't help when you're in the middle of it.