My second color question of the day.

We current have a analytical view in our app which shows a table of frequencies. The number of rows and columns are driven by user data and can becomes a large number (I've heard all the arguments that users should not ever view tables of hundreds of rows by hundreds of columns as a person can't digest that much data - and our customer are quite clear that they want to view such data in this fashion).

We currently use a Datagrid. Each cell has a numerical integer value, 0-n. We want to colorize the cells on a gradient, say from white to green (as an example) which we'd map the gradient colors with 0 being white and max(N) being green and color each cell accordingly.

This can be done relatively easily in the Datagrid by a small bit of custom code that looks at the cell value and sets the background color of the field (that is the cell) to the appropriate color.

We have been migrating all uses of Datagrids to Polygrids where the columns are driven by user data since the number of columns could exceed roughly 300, which at the default column width,  bumps up against the 32,767 pixel width limit of the Datagrid. The Polygrid does not have this width limit, which is why we've been replacing Datagrids with Polygrids.

Now, our current problem is that there does not appear to be any tricks to having variable cell background colors in a Polygrid. Row colors: yes Alternate Row colors: Yes, Highlight color: Yes, possibly even highlighting different cell via the pgHilitedData property: maybe (haven't tested yet, but they'd all be 1 color).

I am not really familiar with the PolyList widget (vs PolyGrid). Has anyone figured out how to do a spreadsheet-like table in either the PolyGrid or PolyList with individual cell background coloring?

If not, I'll stick with the Datagrid and add a check for the columns x widths exceeding the 32K px threshold and just warn the researcher we can't handler that much data (which dings our product vs competition!)