On 9/20/12 10:30 AM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
I agree with Richmond. I cannot think of a case where I would want to
lock a screen multiple times and then incrementally unlock the
screen, knowing that the screen is still locked! I can think of
examples where I would want to lock then unlock the screen while the
script was still executing, but not multiple times stacked.

It's necessary often. The useful behavior dates back 25 years. When a called handler needs to lock and unlock the screen it shouldn't need to worry about whether it was called from a handler while the screen is unlocked, or one where the screen is already locked and shouldn't be changed.

For example:

on moveStuffAround
 lock screen
 <move and hide/show objects>
 unlock screen
end moveStuffAround

on goToCard pCd
  lock screen
  go cd pCd
  moveStuffAround
  unlock screen
end goToCard

on changeStuff
  put the cProp of btn 1 into tProp
  if tProp = true then moveStuffAround
end changeStuff

When going to another card the screen will remain locked even though the calls are nested. When changeStuff is called, the screen will only lock if it needs to moveStuffAround. The calling handler doesn't need to worry about the state of the screen. MoveStuffAround might be called from a library, perhaps a commercial one, where the user may not even know the screen needs to be locked, and where the user's scripts may or may not have already done so.